We’ve decided to take a step back in time and have uncovered some fun and quirky facts about the automotive world that might surprise you!
Here are York Ward and Rowlatt’s favourite:
1. Car dashboards are much more technical than they used to be. The original concept was developed to prevent mud from splattering the driver of a horse-drawn carriage.
2. The first speeding ticket was issued in 1902. At this time the average vehicle could barely reach 45MPH.
3. The average British driver will spend 99 days in traffic by the over the course of their lifetime.
4. 19 inches is the hight of the world’s lowest street-legal car. The ‘flatmobile’ was built by Perry Watkins from Buckinghamshire.
5. The first road-worthy cars used a lever instead of a steering wheel to steer. It had a design and functioning like that of a joy-stick.
6. The average car is made up of 30,000 parts.
7. There are currently one billion cars in use on earth.
8. It would take about six months to get to the moon by car, travelling at 60mph (95km/h).
9.Red cars are prohibited in Shanghai, China.
10. Running your car down to empty shortens the life of the fuel pump, so avoid it where you can.